We will hire two Education Specialists. Start date is flexible and can be in the summer of 2022.
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
With SARSEF, every Arizona student has the opportunity to discover their potential as a scientist or engineer solving problems big and small. SARSEF uses a comprehensive programming model that supports students, teachers, and families so that students can think critically and solve problems through science and engineering. We couldn’t be successful without an impactful educational outreach program.
As SARSEF’s Education Specialist, you will work with the Chief Program Officer and the Manager of STEM Curriculum and Instruction to increase the number and diversity of students, teachers and parents who are involved in active STEM research projects by developing and delivering innovative science and engineering curriculum. Specific efforts will focus on Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade students at Title I schools who are underrepresented in the fields of STEM.
The goals of our education outreach program are to:
- Provide educational opportunities in science and engineering to students throughout Arizona
- Model for teachers use of the Arizona State Science/Engineering Standards in classrooms with students
- Lead students, parents, and teachers in generating real world, hands-on experiences while modeling science/engineering research practices
- Create and deliver meaningful programs that empower students to solve issues based on their curiosity and concerns in their own lives/community
- Meet the needs of individual schools in programming where one-size does not fit all
- Assist students, teachers, and parents with the creation of research projects that can be submitted to competitions and/or continued in the future
We are looking for applicants with recent classroom experience and high energy. Classroom management, communication skills, creativity, comfort speaking to different-sized groups, and flexibility to match school day and nighttime schedules are necessary. The successful candidate should have strong organization skills to take ownership of and initiative in their work. Ability to collaborate with others is a must!
Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred.
Job Responsibilities Include
- Be energetic and highly motivated to work with students, teachers, and parents in a variety of learning settings both in and out of the classroom across Arizona
- Develop and deliver differentiated workshops for PreK-8th grade levels, second-language learners, special education needs, and the specific requirements of each school
- Deliver science and engineering Professional Development for teachers and community partners, in-school and out-of-school workshops for students, and evening parent workshops
- Present at professional organizations and conferences/in-services
- Recruit new schools across the State that align with SARSEF’s vision and mission
- Assist SARSEF Team with tasks associated with other SARSEF Programs and Events
Must Maintain Basic Requirements
- Current Arizona Department of Education Teaching Certificate
- Must pass a Pima County fingerprint clearance
This contracted position, that follows a school-year calendar, has the starting rate of $42,000 – 47,000 DOE with potential for higher through tenure and performance.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please include relevant background on previous educational experience. Applicants invited to the second round of selection will be asked for a short, hands-on science/engineering lesson sample.
It is our policy to prohibit any employment practice influenced or affected by an employee’s race, color, ancestry, ethnicity, religion/creed, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, familial status, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This provision governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.