SARSEF 2021 Winners
2021 Virtual Fair is Now Open
Find a Project
Sign up for our Newsletter
SARSEF PRESENTS JSHS
SARSEF is excited to host AZ JSHS and to broaden opportunities to engage students (Grades 9-12) in research in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM). Individual students present their original research before a panel of judges and an audience of their peers. Opportunities to win college tuition scholarships, engage in career exploration, research lab visits, peer discussions, and networking are generally part of the JSHS experience.
What is the AZ JSHS competition?
- Student presenters give a 12-minute oral presentation of their research
- Each presentation is followed by 6 minutes of time for answering the judges’ questions
Who can attend the AZ JSHS?
- Any Arizona high school student interested in STEM studies can participate either as an Oral Presenter or as a Student Observer.
- All Arizona teachers of STEM studies are encouraged to attend. It is truly inspiring to observe these student presentations.
What products do you need to compete in AZ JSHS?
- 12 minute practiced presentation on your research (PowerPoint or equivalent presentation)
- Research paper of your original research
- JSHS Abstract
- Statement of outside assistance
By participating in AZ JSHS, students may:
- Participate in a forum honoring individual achievement in STEM
- Network with peers who have similar interests
- Hear research presentations by other students
- Develop writing and public speaking skills to help prepare for undergraduate and graduate pursuits in STEM fields
- Hear nationally renowned scientists speak on their work
- Qualify for significant scholarships and other recognition
- Advance to the national symposia
What scholarships are awarded to the top presentations?
The top five finalists attend an expense-paid trip to the National JSHS to present their research and compete for additional prizes (note 2021 National JSHS will be a virtual event). The top two finalists compete as Oral Presenters and the 3rd-5th place finalists compete in the National JSHS poster session.
The Tri-Services (Army, Navy, and Air Force) will distribute $4,500 in academic scholarships to the top three Arizona finalists:
First Place: $2,000
Second Place: $1,500
Third Place: $1,000
Additionally, the University of Arizona will contribute $1,000 scholarships to each of the top five finalists who attend the University of Arizona.
Scholarships awarded at nationals in each of eight categories are:
- $12,000 undergraduate tuition scholarships awarded to each of the 1st place finalists
- $8,000 undergraduate tuition scholarships awarded to each of the 2nd place finalists
- $4,000 undergraduate tuition scholarships awarded to each of the 3rd place finalists