SARSEF 2020 Winners
Sign up for our Newsletter
Find a Project
Want to Learn More?
Thoughts about Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
Critical Thinking can be deployed at any time, in any context. It is a type of thought that even 3-year olds can engage in – and even trained scientists can fail in.
Knowing that one should think critically is not the same as being able to do so. That requires domain knowledge and practice.
Within a content area like science, students have more context clues to help them figure out which metacognitive strategy to use
Background knowledge is necessary to engage in scientific critical thinking.
– Daniel T. Willingham
Additional Thoughts….Why Students Don’t Critically Think….
- Too many Facts, too little conceptualizing
- Too much memorizing, too little thinking
- Lecture and rote memorization doesn’t require critical thinking
- Students are not trained to think
- Critical thinking is more than engagement
– Mark Jon Snyder, Elon University