Racing the Sun
Racing the Sun (RTS) is a hands-on, innovative engineering program that challenges high school students to design, build, and race electric and solar-powered go-karts. Racing the Sun is a college preparatory program available to any Arizona high school.
2023-2024 Team Registration
Registration is now open for the 2023-2024 season of Racing the Sun! Faculty Advisors can now register teams through the link below. Team members will join once the team is registered.
How it works
- Teachers are oriented to the program and gather their teams
- Participants learn the basics at Workshops Day
- Participants submit release forms
While Designing and Building
- Students plan, design, and build their carts
- Students present their progress to mentors and make changes through iterations
- Students visit companies and universities on Career Day
- Teams undergo safety checks and conduct trial runs on Test Day
- Teams present their work to industry judges
- Teams compete on Race Day
Challenges and skills
Students spend nine months preparing for Race Day with the support of their teachers and mentors. Along the way, they apply concepts from physics, engineering, and energy to solve real-world problems through collaboration within their teams.
- Critical thinking
- Social skills
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Project management