Racing the Sun
Racing the Sun Benefit – April 14, 2023
Celebrate this season of Racing the Sun and support our upcoming Race Day with a fun evening at the Track!
Race Day – April 29, 2023
You’re invited to watch Arizona high school teams race solar-powered go-karts they designed and engineered themselves!
How it works
- Teachers are oriented to the program and gather their teams
- Participants learn the basics at Workshops Day
- Participants submit release forms
While Designing and Building
- Students plan, design, and build their carts
- Students present their progress to mentors and make changes through iterations
- Students visit companies and universities on Career Day
- Teams undergo safety checks and conduct trial runs on Test Day
- Teams present their work to industry judges
- Teams compete on Race Day
Challenges and skills
Students spend nine months preparing for Race Day with the support of their teachers and mentors. Along the way, they apply concepts from physics, engineering, and energy to solve real-world problems through collaboration within their teams.
- Critical thinking
- Social skills
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Project management