Sign up for our Newsletter
- SARSEF in the Schools – Fall 2019 Highlights
- 1,000 Students Explore Endless Possibilities in Science and Engineering at Arizona STEM Adventure
- SARSEF Awarded Bayer Fund Grant
- SARSEF Leads a Full Day of Science in Nogales, Mexico
- Racing the Sun ©2019
SARSEF Fair Winners 2019
Find a Project
Science Fair Guide
Right now you are probably wanting to know what questions will be asked if a student is selected for SARSEF. You can see a sample if you go to: Sample Registration for SARSEF
A school Fair Director’s job entails a lot of responsibility, and yet, when it is all over, the Fair Director knows that he or she played a part in setting a child on a course that might lead to a future career.
But how do you know what to do?
The good news is that MOST everything you will need has already been created. If you find yourself writing a form or lengthy letter, STOP!
Check to see if someone else has already done the work for you. Chances are, they have!, Usually all you have to do is tailor the letter, timelines or form to fit your needs.
The best Guidebook for a Fair Director can be found on the Science Buddies website at:
Once there you will find a variety of resources, already created for you!
They have developed the documents below to help you put on a successful science fair, from start to finish. The documents go hand in hand and offer many options that you can tailor to your school’s fair
- A Guide to Planning a Science Fair (pdf) This step-by-step guide walks you through every step of planning your school science fair—from setting goals for the fair, to recruiting and training volunteers and judges, to announcing the winners. The companion judging documents are also referenced throughout and are available for download below.
- Judging Guide (pdf) This guide includes an introduction to the teacher, as well as thorough instructions to print out for the judges’ training on the day of the fair. Features include grade-level expectations, responsibilities and scoring guidelines. This guide will also prepare them for using the judging criteria scorecards at the Science Buddies site, which are excellent for novice judges — however, you may want to use the judging criteria that is used by our Grand Awards Judges at SARSEF (below). Select and print the scorecard that you feel is most appropriate for your judges/students.
- Elem and MS Science Criteria
- Elem and MS Engineering Criteria
- HS Science Criteria
- HS Engineering Criteria
- Project Tracking Spreadsheet Sample (xls) This spreadsheet includes a sample and template that can be modified and used to track your students’ projects, from registration through the judging process.
- Science Fair Certificate Sample (Word doc) This is a sample template of a science fair award certificate. However, you can probably be even more creative!
- Best Practices for Growing City or County-level Science Fair Participation