SARSEF 2020 Winners
Sign up for our Newsletter
Find a Project
- Support SARSEF for FREE using your Arizona State Tax Credit!
- Arizona STEM Adventure Gives Students Opportunity for Hands-On Science
- SARSEF Named as the New Host of the Arizona Regional Junior Science and Humanities Symposium
- SARSEF’s Virtual Science and Engineering Fair 2021: Update
- Mentors Play a Key Role in Supporting High School Students Preparing for the SARSEF Science and Engineering Fair
SARSEF Fair Information
We know you don’t want to miss a thing as you help your students get ready for the SARSEF Science and Engineering Fair.
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (520) 273-8259 with questions
The SARSEF Science and Engineering Fair will be held virtually in the 2020-2021 school year. The fair will take place between March 1st-6th, 2021.
What can I expect at a Virtual SARSEF Fair?
- In March, student projects will be presented on a SARSEF Fair website that will include a virtual exhibit hall and main stage for a live award ceremony broadcast.
- Project judging will occur virtually using the same SARSEF Fair criteria as in the past. Grand Awards and Sponsored Awards will be given as usual.
- Interviews at the high school level will be required as usual and will occur virtually.
- Middle school students are also highly encouraged to do interviews.
- This year, we will also be giving the option for elementary school students to be interviewed if they desire!
- Finalists will compete for over $100,000 of cash and prizes, including scholarships and trips.
- Due to the hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the $10 project registration fee will be optional. SARSEF is seeking a generous sponsor willing to cover all project registration fees.
What does a Virtual Project look like?
- Project Presentations must be a single PDF document with a maximum of 12 pages. This can be created through Google Slides, Microsoft PowerPoint, Keynote, or a word-processing application. Students will not create a physical project board for the SARSEF Fair.
- The entire presentation should be saved as a single .pdf document. (Sometimes this is called a “multi-page pdf.”) This .pdf will be uploaded to the SARSEF Fair website when registering.
- Page size should be American standard 8½”X11” and created in landscape orientation.
- The smallest allowable font size of body text is 14 pt. All text should be easily readable. (Please consider this in font choices.) Exception: You may use a smaller font size, down to 10 pt., for figure captions or photo credits.
- All Project Presentation elements must conform to D&S rules as if placed on a physical poster for display to judges and the public. Passing a Display & Safety inspection will be required to compete.
- Project journals/lab notebooks can be completed physically or digitally. (Physical journal pages should be scanned to submit electronically.)
- High School students will also be responsible for creating a Quad Chart that should be presented as the the first page of their pdf Project Presentation (in lieu of a Title Page).
- View sample projects (PK-8):
How do I hold a school fair?
- SARSEF is committed to enabling all Arizona schools to hold science and engineering fairs even during the COVID-19 pandemic. As such, we will be providing a free virtual platform for any school interested in holding a virtual science and engineering fair at the school level. We will send more information on how to sign up when this platform is available.
- Technical assistance will be provided as needed for the SARSEF virtual components.
- SARSEF will continue to release resources and suggestions throughout the fall about virtual submissions, projects, and best practices. Be sure to keep checking our website for the latest updates!
- Fall 2020 – Free virtual workshops on methods for a successful science/engineering research project and how to prepare for a virtual fair
- Early December 2020 – SARSEF School Fair platform released
- January 18, 2021 – Registration Opens
- February 21, 2021 – Registration Closes
- March 1-6, 2021 – SARSEF Fair 2021
Stay tuned as we update this page with more specific dates and information!
January 2021 – Online registration opens
- Registration for the SARSEF Fair is only available online. https://sarsef.org/schools/teachers/your-class-participation/
- Sample Registration for SARSEF 2020
Late February 2021 – Online registration closes
- IMPORTANT: You must enter all project and student information online by midnight. The system will be closed to any further registrations after this time.
- All project files must be uploaded by deadline. (TBD)
- Students and parents evaluate registration info for typos.
Project Upload Information – TBA
Judging day – Judging occurs in Teams throughout the day – Details TBA
Public Viewing Day – Details TBA
Award Ceremonies – Details TBA
- Online Time TBA.: Elementary School Awards Ceremony (Grades Pre-Kindergarten-5) will be available on the SARSEF YouTube Channel.
- Online Time TBA.: Middle School (Grades 6-8) and High School Awards Ceremony (Grades 9-12) will be available on the SARSEF YouTube Channel.
- We will ensure all winners receive their trophies in the weeks following the fair. More details to come on how we will distribute them.
Save The Date!
SARSEF Fair 2021: March 1st – 6th 2021